Saturday, September 14, 2013

Tender Mericies

My scripture study this morning led me to this talk by David A. Bednar in the April 2005 General Conference entitled The Tender Mercies of the Lord https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2005/04/the-tender-mercies-of-the-lord?lang=eng

This excerpt, in particular, spoke to me:
"In a recent stake conference, the tender mercies of the Lord were evident in the touching testimony of a young wife and mother of four whose husband was slain in Iraq in December of 2003. This stalwart sister recounted how, after being notified of her husband’s death, she received his Christmas card and message. In the midst of the abrupt reality of a dramatically altered life came to this good sister a timely and tender reminder that indeed families can be together forever. With permission I quote from that Christmas card:

“To the best family in the world! Have a great time together and remember the true meaning of Christmas! The Lord has made it possible for us to be together forever. So even when we are apart, we will still be together as a family.

“God bless and keep y’all safe and grant this Christmas to be our gift of love from us to Him above!!!

“All my love, Daddy and your loving husband!”

Clearly, the husband’s reference to being apart in his Christmas greeting referred to the separation caused by his military assignment. But to this sister, as a voice from the dust from a departed eternal companion and father, came a most needed spiritual reassurance and witness. As I indicated earlier, the Lord’s tender mercies do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. Faithfulness, obedience, and humility invite tender mercies into our lives, and it is often the Lord’s timing that enables us to recognize and treasure these important blessings."

My family saw many tender mercies from the Lord after the passing of my mom and two of my sisters. Once our angels were on the other side, I saw them in things I had never seen them in before. I saw Nikki in a strangers smile because my little sister was ALWAYS smiling and walking up to random people and treating them like her best friend. I saw Jamie in my quiet moments in our home, when we were at peace because she was always the bringer of peace, trying hard to keep us all from fighting. I saw my mom, in every hug that I received, trying fiercely to never forget what it felt like to hug her. The Lord sends us little blessings, tender mercies, to remind us that we are not alone, that with every step we take, He is right beside us, guiding us along HIS path, the path that he has forged for us to follow.

The Lord loves us, EACH of us. He knows us individually, personally, and profoundly. He can not leave us alone, He loves us too much for that. He walks beside us and carries us when necessary. He will never abandon us. He will deliver us. And we will be blessed.

"When words cannot provide the solace we need or express the joy we feel, when it is simply futile to attempt to explain that which is unexplainable, when logic and reason cannot yield adequate understanding about the injustices and inequities of life, when mortal experience and evaluation are insufficient to produce a desired outcome, and when it seems that perhaps we are so totally alone, truly we are blessed by the tender mercies of the Lord and made mighty even unto the power of deliverance"

I am a daughter of God. I love Him and He loves me.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2005/04/the-tender-mercies-of-the-lord?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts