Monday, December 20, 2010

What's that word again?

Day 25: Is grateful for the true meaning of Christmas.

I don't know about any of you, but when writing a lot I enjoy using short hand. And this includes the occasional "xmas" Now, I realize that some people may be "offended" at the term. Some say that it takes the Christ out of Christmas (which, technically, that is exactly what it does) but that is NEVER how I meant it. I was just lazy, not blasphemous.

But today I was out doing a little Christmas shopping and as I drive from point A to B I don't mind listening to a few Christmas songs... Welp a commercial came on in between songs (ya all i have in my car is radio and I HATE commercials but wasn't paying enough attention to change stations) anywho. So this commercial is on telling you that you can get all your christmas shopping done at one spot.. or i think they said holiday but whatever. So everything you need, right there bladdy bladdy blah and at the very end they specifically said "_________. for all your "giftmas" shopping!!"

Now like I said, I use the occasional Xmas, I don't mean to take Christ away. But GIFTmas?! Really?! Talk about putting the emphasis on the WRONG part of Christmas. Its not about the presents, or what you get, or who can get the best present for susie--Its about the birth of our savior.


I've been stressing this in Music Time at church for a couple of weeks now, but its sad to see that its not just the children that get wrapped up in the "i want i want i want i want i want"

And now, the even the adults are giving in.

So yes, today, I am grateful that I know the true meaning of Christmas and that my family has always stressed it and so has TK's family. And that together, we can teach our children.

Peace, Love, and CookieDough

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much, Jillian. I think we all get a little caught up in things that don't matter sometimes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts